1) Out of shorter and longer hydrocarbons, which are more useful? Explain your answer.
2) Fill in the gaps below with the words “shorter” and “longer”.
There is a greater demand for _______ hydrocarbons compare to _______ hydrocarbons. There is a greater supply than demand for _______ hydrocarbons. There is greater demand than supply for _______ hydrocarbon. Cracking breaks down a _______ hydrocarbon into _______ hydrocarbons.
a) Is cracking an exothermic or endothermic reaction?
b) What type of reaction is cracking?
4) Describe the steps in catalytic cracking.
5) The cracking of dodecane (C12H26) produces ethene (C2H4) and one other hydrocarbon. The partially completed chemical equation is shown below.
C12H26 –> _______ + C2H4
a) Find the molecular formula for the other hydrocarbon.
b) Give one use for the ethene that is produced by cracking dodecane.
c) A different molecule of dodecane is cracked. This time it produces propene (C3H6) and one other hydrocarbon. Write the balanced chemical equation for this taking place.
6) The cracking of decane (C10H22) produces heptane (C7H16) and one other hydrocarbon. The partially completed chemical equation is shown below.
C10H22 –> C7H16 + ______
Complete the chemical equation.
7) Is the statement below true or false?
“cracking is used to match supply with demand”